- Now these [are] the names of the children of Israel, which came into Egypt; every man and his household came with Jacob.
- Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah,
- Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin,
- Dan, and Naphtali, Gad, and Asher.
- And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob were seventy souls: for Joseph was in Egypt [already].
- And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation.
- And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.
- Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
- And he said unto his people, Behold, the people of the children of Israel [are] more and mightier than we:
- Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and [so] get them up out of the land.
- Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and Raamses.
- But the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and grew. And they were grieved because of the children of Israel.
- And the Egyptians made the children of Israel to serve with rigour:
- And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, [was] with rigour.
- And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one [was] Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah:
- And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see [them] upon the stools; if it [be] a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it [be] a daughter, then she shall live.
- But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive.
- And the king of Egypt called for the midwives, and said unto them, Why have ye done this thing, and have saved the men children alive?
- And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women [are] not as the Egyptian women; for they [are] lively, and are delivered ere the midwives come in unto them.
- Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people multiplied, and waxed very mighty.
- And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he made them houses.
- And Pharaoh charged all his people, saying, Every son that is born ye shall cast into the river, and every daughter ye shall save alive.
Home - Next Verses