- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- The same was in the beginning with God.
- All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
- In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
- And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
- There was a man sent from God, whose name [was] John.
- The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all [men] through him might believe.
- He was not that Light, but [was sent] to bear witness of that Light.
- [That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
- He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
- He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
- But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
- Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
- And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
- John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
- And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
- For the law was given by Moses, [but] grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
- No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].
- And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?
- And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.
- And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.
- Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?
- He said, I [am] the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.
- And they which were sent were of the Pharisees.
- And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?
- John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;
- He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.
- These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.
- The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
- This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
Home - Next Verses